We have put this guide together to help people who opt to use 3rd party high capacity batteries that can be found on various online marketplaces.
List shows compatibility in terms of fit and what depth case back is required (thick or thin) to achieve correct fitting.
Please note: This article is NOT a recommendation for these batteries, there seems to be a very high level of variation in the quality, capacity ratings (actual & advertised) and more importantly we have seen different size batteries supplied for the same advertised product!!
So you have been warned – this article is for information only and the said information is provided with no warranty or promise of accuracy. Your results may not reflect our findings!
There are couple of more batteries I have seen, and once I have managed to obtain some samples this guide will be updated!
Fitting Guide (see numbered notes below)
|1800mAh (5)||Thick back||Thick back||Thick back||Thick back||Thick back|
|2000mAh||Thin back||Thick back||Thick back (2)||Thick back||Thick back|
|1900mAh||Thin back (1)||Thick back||Thick back (2)||Thick back||Thick back|
|3000mAh (3)||Thick back||Thick back||Thick back||Thick back||Thick back|
Battery Specifications (for samples we obtained)
(1) When fitting with a thin caseback the protusion on the iPod’s inner frame needs to be removed (as pictured).
(2) We have had some samples of these batteries which actually fitted (read: tight squeeze) in a thin (5g) caseback & the iFlash-Solo.
(3) This battery is larger than the iPod’s inner frame, it will ALWAYS require a thick caseback. This battery can be awkward to fit as it interferes with the headphone jack assembly, you may need to lift the headphone ribbon away from the rear case to allow the battery to slide under the headphone jack assembly.
(4) This is based on current energy density of li-ion based battery cells, it is a very approximate (gu)estimate as the volume measurement is based on external size of the battery pack and not the actual cell size. Other factors which may effect the accuracy is the method and quality of the cell construction and wrapping. However, it is a great method to see relative capacity claims when comparing by volume of the battery cell, of course the chemistry of the batteries need to be the same.
(5) We have seen this battery sold as 1800mAh and as 1600mAh, all examples we have seen have been a similiar size. At 5.3mm thick this battery will always require a thick caseback, and will not fit with the original HDD.
**article republished 24/02/17 – to add 1800mAh battery, and oem battery
**article original publish date was 15/06/2016